Monday, July 28, 2014

we're heading to croatia...






Have you ever been to Croatia? We're hopping on a plane and heading there tomorrow!

We're crazy excited and cannot wait to spend a few weeks relaxing, island hopping and visiting with my extended family (it's been 5 years since we've seen them). I've been itching for this kind of vacation — the kind where you kick it all day at the beach, drink wine in the evening, and just straight chill. We may even throw in some meandering down cobblestone streets in search of bits of history or funky shops.

Our plan is to fly into Zagreb, visit my mom's side of the family in Bosnia for a few days and then head down to my birth island of Brac, where my dad's side lives, via the ferry in Split.  
We're going to spend a week on Brac (above) and then decide where else to go - maybe Dubrovnik, Hvar (below) or even Venice. We haven't entirely made up our minds, which is unusual and thrilling because I'm usually such a planner. 

p506192839-6

Our ten-year-old niece Raissa is coming with us for part of the trip and we're also meeting up with my parents, who left for Bosnia last week. Should be fun as we've never travelled on a plane with a kid. Thankfully Rai's pretty awesome and we're looking forward to this bonding time with her (Scott's elated to have another English speaking person around since his Croatian is, um, a tad rusty).
I'll be sharing photos of our vacation on Instagram and Facebook, if you'd like to follow along. 

Have a wonderful three weeks, and see you at the end of August!

P.S. Can't wait to read this book on the plane and finally wear this dress

18 comments:

  1. That sounds like an amazing trip (my friend is in Croatia right now and I've been dying for all the trip photos she's posting on Facebook).


    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing trip, Courtney! I'm hoping to post some photos before the end of this year. Wish me luck, dude!

      Delete
  2. D! I'm so excited to see all the photos you post! My dad is Croatian (making me 1/2) and while I've been a handful of times, the last time I went was 15 years ago! My dad goes back home every summer and we thought about going this year, but weren't sure if we would be up to the long days of travel with an infant so the plan is to go next summer.

    Have a fantastic trip! And overgram away! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool, Brie! I'm 1/2 Croatian too. My dad's Croatian and my mom's from Bosnia. I hope you get the chance to go back. It's such a great holiday spot. Oh, and the sladoled... I could talk about Croatian ice cream for days on end.

      P.S. Hope you enjoyed the overgraming!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so jealous and happy for you! Croatia is high up on my wishlist for places to visit- so stunning. I can't believe I only first encountered pictures of Dubrovnik about 5 years ago. I should have grown up dreaming of this place (er, I did, I just didn't know it really existed outside of fantasy novels...) Your niece is the perfect age to experience this trip with you. Have fun!! I look forward to feasting the eyes on your instagram feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the opportunity to visit Croatia too, S. It's a lovely holiday spot! We had such a good time with our niece (she was the perfect travelling companion). We ate sladoled (ice cream) three times a day in between our visits to the beach. And then I came back to Edmonton and wondered why my pants were so dang tight. Yikes.

      Delete
  4. Croatia is so lovely! Enjoy all the sites, especially on the Adriatic coast! Split is excellent, as Salona and Trogir nearby. Dubrovnik is breathtaking, especially a walk on the walls, but very crowded. We really enjoyed island-hopping between Hvar, Korcula, and Brac. Bol beach is something else! And we enjoyed Vela Luka too :) Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Amles! It sounds like you had a lovely Croatian holiday too. Bol beach (Zlatni Rat) is my fave beach. We made our way there a few times on our holiday. The water was crystal clear and so warm. Can't wait to go back!

      Delete
  5. Have a wonderful time! I would love to visit there one day, my parent's use to vacation there while growing up in communist Czechoslovakia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! It was always popular with visitors from bordering countries, now it's become popular with the entire world (which is good & bad). I want the beaches to myself (;

      Delete
  6. I am DYING to go there! Have the most amazing time and I can't wait to read all about your trip when you're back!

    xoxo, Kali

    www.204park.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kali! Hoping to have a post up before the new year. Going to try to kick procrastination to the curb (;

      Delete
  7. Ooh I'm jealous! It is on my list for sure... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala, Heather! It was awesome to spend time with my family and the beach.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Shawna! My apologies to you and the other peeps for the late reply.

      Delete
  9. Hope you're having a great time, can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fantastic trip, Cheryl. Thanks, lady! Hope you were able to follow along on Instagram or Facebook (:

      Delete

Yes, please! Comments make me happy, but please keep them kind. That means you anonymous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...