Wednesday, September 30, 2015

the happiest news part 2: a look back, plus baby & belly pictures!


// 13 weeks //

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments on my last post announcing our twin pregnancy! It feels good to finally let everyone know we are expecting and that our IVF journey was successful. I'm devoting the rest of this week to answering all of your texts, comments and emails (we've received an overwhelming response from the blog post and CTV story detailing our journey and are feeling the love!).

Here's a look back at some important dates following our egg retrieval:

June 16, 2015: We had our frozen embryo transfer today (FET). Compared to the retrieval and post retrieval recovery, this was easy peasy. I slow walked into the procedure room humming the Rocky theme song and I skipped out PUPO (pregnant until proven otherwise) with my bright fuschia lipstick still intact. The entire procedure took about 20 minutes in total. Those are our 5 day old baby blastocysts in the picture below.




June 16 to June 25, 2015: The oftentimes dreaded 2WW, two week waiting period, before my beta (blood test). I relaxed and didn't stress, still drank my one cup of tea per day, meditated and used the 4-7-8 breathing method, walked Lucy two to three times a day, ate healthy 80% of the time with 20% allotted to gelato, had fun with family and friends, took my supplements, vitamins and watched bad reality television. In other words, I lived my life and kept busy. I am proud of myself for not testing early (some women take a pregnancy test every day following transfer but I do not recommend it because you'll drive yourself mad). Plus, the HCG in your body could give you a false positive or negative. I kept my sanity by waiting patiently to hear the results of the blood test from a professional. Patience is key. So try your best not to obsess. This article may help with that.

First beta: 9dp5ft: 399 (I'm pregnant! Elation sets in.)
Second beta: 11dp5dt 1146
Third beta: 17dp5dt 13, 340
dp = days past transfer // ft = frozen transfer // 5 = five day old blastocysts were implanted

When I saw these numbers multiplying exponentially, a part of me secretly hoped it was twins.


July 20, 2015: Our first ultrasound at 7 weeks! As soon as the ultrasound technician said the words, "This is Twin A and this is Twin B," we were both in awe. I burst out crying while Scott just kept looking incredulously from me to the screen and back again to me. Huge moment. So much to be thankful for.

After we left the clinic, I couldn't get myself to go home. Instead, I wandered through the J.Crew outlet store (meh!), checked out patio umbrellas at Rona and then went to IKEA for a solo swedish meatball dinner (my guilty pleasure!). I was in a state of happy shock and thought I could process the news with some retail therapy. But I didn't buy a thing, go figure.



August 6, 2015: First ob/gyn appointment. Dr. Chris Hoskins was referred to me by my friend Rosa. Unbeknownst to me, he is also one of the top ten ob/gyns in Edmonton. I quite liked the dude. Best part about him, aside from the fact the man is brilliant? He got my sense of humour, he had a sense of humour and a lovely New Zealand accent, too. Plus, he introduced himself and shook my hand. That makes him an instant winner in my books.

August 12, 2015: Second ultrasound. I was having some localized abdominal pain and wanted to allay my fears. You should have seen Scott's face while watching the ultrasound technician showing him both heartbeats and wee little moving arms and legs. He was like a kid on Christmas morning. My heart almost burst from happiness. He's going to be such a great dad!

August 29, 2015: Nuchal translucency ultrasound. This is a screening for chromosomal abnormalities. The results came back showing numbers equivalent to those of a pregnant 35 year old. So happy!



September 21, 2015: First appointment with Monica Patt, an acupuncturist who works closely with infertility and IVF patients and also provides pregnancy care. I'm hoping she can help me with my anxiety, heartburn and migraine issues. My first session went well (I had fun and laughed a lot!) and I can totally see us becoming fast pals. Hope she's reading this (;

September 23, 2015: Received a phone call from a geneticist at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women with the news my Harmony prenatal test results had come back with a low risk for Trisomy 21 (Down's syndrome), 18 (Edwards syndrome) and 13 (Patau syndrome). Sweet relief.

// 16 weeks //

September 25, 2015: 16 weeks of pregnancy! The realization this is really happening is slowly setting in, and the fears have left both my heart and mind. We are pregnant. IVF worked for us and I can't even begin to explain the joy, relief and gratefulness I feel.

I am going to be a mama! It feels amazing to finally say those words after so long.

If you're eager for little pregnancy updates and periodic twin news, be sure to follow me on Instagram or Facebook. I regularly post personal tidbits over there. And one more big thank you for your well wishes, love, encouragement and for following along. It feels so good to have you sharing in our excitement. xoxo

********

If you're reading this and going through infertility, I get it. Infertility sucks. It's toxic. It cripples you. It hurts when your friends lap you. It's devastating to hear about babies and pregnancy and family. It makes you doubt your body, your sanity, your faith, your everything. If you ever need to talk, I'm here. You can email me at dajanaf@yahoo.com and we can meet at The Tea Girl and sit and chat. Cry too, if needed. In the past three weeks, I've met with three different women to talk about all things infertility and IVF. It helps to speak with someone who has gone through it.

Resources I found helpful:

Facebook groups (these are private closed groups, no one will see that you've joined):
Books:
Website:

29 comments:

  1. Giving me goosebumps. You are the sweetest & I am so excited for you! Also the cutest! Keep those bump pics coming!
    <3 Kastles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your support and kind words, K! We're over the moon excited to meet these babies of ours. And yes, there'll be more bump pics coming (:

      Delete
  2. You look fantastic and TOTALLY radiant!! 👊🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Crystal! I feel so much better now that I'm in my second trimester. It's nice to be off the sofa and out of my sweats (;

      Delete
  3. So wonderful. Very happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liana! We're beyond elated, just a few more months until we meet these two babes of ours. Eeep!

      Delete
  4. You. Are. AMAZING, D! I'm so impressed by your open-ness and willingness to share so that what you and Scott have been through can be helpful/reassuring/comforting to someone else! I sure am glad that I've found your blog - you are such a REAL person; going beyond just sharing the good bits, but the hard parts of life, too. I so appreciate it (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me tear up, Hannah. Such kind, thoughtful words (which meant so much to me I had to share your comment with Scott). Thank you for being such a lovely person & for your support! <3

      Delete
  5. Dajana, and all this time I had no idea. I am sorry you went through years of heartache but am thrilled that you have had success - you will be one amazing mamma and those babies are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay B, we only started to open up about our infertility struggles this year. It took a long time to get to the point where we both felt comfortable talking about it (and that's mostly because the need to help other couples going through similar challenges became so strong). I'm so glad we went 'public' with our story.

      And thanks so much for your kind words, friend. I am SO excited to be a mama!

      Delete
  6. Love everything about this post! Thanks for sharing, and hey, have I mentioned how excited I am for you?! PS - I owe you a text back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along & for your support, Kassey! It feels good to know we have so many fantastic people, like you, cheering us on (:

      Delete
  7. This is all so incredible and I cried again! I mean, seriously!?!?? As soon as you mentioned the reaction you both had to finding out you're having twins: waterworks. Your story is so beautiful and so touching, and the fact that you have shared every part of it, not just the good and pretty stuff, makes you pretty much my hero. Sending a big tight and awkward pregnant lady hug to you and those babes! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly accept that hug, Thalita! The waterworks start up every time I think back to that moment when we found out we were having twins. Oh man! What an amazing day.

      Thanks for your support, fellow twin mama! I'm super excited for both of us (:

      Delete
  8. Again, congratulations lady. Wish you guys all the best. You are going to be an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala puno Ana! It makes me feel good hearing the words mom. YAY! (:

      Delete
  9. This post brought tears to my eyes (again!)! I am so, so happy for you D, and I cannot wait to follow along on your pregnancy during!! And hopefully meet your little bumpkins one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support, excitement and enthusiasm, B! You're a sweetheart. I hope you & Sully can meet our little ones too one day, preferably over gelato (;

      Delete
  10. Congrats! What lovely news! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I still have my "Twin A" hospital bracelet from when @sweetlaundry and I were born.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very happy to read your blog. You are so sweet and I am really very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's Top Social Trading Network!

    Join millions who have already discovered easier strategies for investing in Ripple.

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's looks like you're enjoying your pregnancy. I'm also so happy to see you on this happy looks.
    ivf acupuncture Austin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really appreciate you for getting busy to avoid the stress. It is the best idea to prevent the anxiety and stress. Everyone will follow like this to get the successful pregnancy through IVF.

    ReplyDelete

Yes, please! Comments make me happy, but please keep them kind. That means you anonymous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...