Wednesday, October 9, 2013

sometimes life can be overwhelming...

OK BANNER

I've been feeling a little overwhelmed these past few weeks. Sometimes it's hard being a grown-up, especially an anxious one. 

It all started about three weeks ago when I received a phone call at work letting me know that my brother Ivi had been in a serious motorcycle accident. Since then, my heart has been perpetually stuck in my throat. And most recently, as if we didn't have enough on our plates, Scott and I had our cars vandalized, our garage broken into and a bunch of items stolen. 

I was feeling like I couldn't take one more piece of bad news and then I read this woman's advice on Humans of New York, which I follow fervently. It speaks so beautifully to the strength we carry with us.

"If you could give one piece of advice to a large group of people, what would it be?"
"When a wave comes, go deep."
"I think I’m going to need an explanation for that one."
"There’s three things you can do when life sends a wave at you. You can run from it, but then it’s going to catch up and knock you down. You can also fall back on your ego and try to stand your ground, but then it’s still going to clobber you. Or you can use it as an opportunity to go deep, and transform yourself to match the circumstances. And that’s how you get through the wave.”
So that's what I'm concentrating my energy on these days -- going deep -- while still trying to keep things in perspective.

How are you feeling lately--good, bad, ok? Does this advice resonate with you as much as it did with me?

P.S. After two surgeries, my brother, although still in the hospital, is on the path to recovery. As for the break in? Although it was completely and utterly unnerving, everything can be fixed or replaced. Upwards & onwards, I say!

Top photo from Secret Holiday.

21 comments:

  1. I wish your brother a seedy recovery. I hope the wave subsides soon and you can be back to your wonderful self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Randi! I appreciate your support, friend. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am so incredibly sorry to hear about your brother's accident, Diana...and that you're being flooded with overwhelming set-backs and struggles. Being an adult really is hard. And, I'm a rather anxious one too, so I understand what it feels like to say "this is too much...I can't handle one more thing" only to face one more thing. I went through a season like that a couple of years ago and it was a tough journey. There were lots of tears, a few anxiety attacks, and even some meds, but I like to think I came out a little tougher myself! ;)

    Don't be afraid to reach out for help, to say NO when things are overwhelming, and to let yourself unravel sometimes. So be kind to yourself. Extend yourself the grace you undoubtedly would give to others. Sending love and hugs your way. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a lovely human being, Amy. Reading your comment made me tear up. Thank you for sharing your own struggles with anxiety. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

      And I especially loved this: So be kind to yourself. Extend yourself the grace you undoubtedly would give to others.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you Dajana. You are too! I never stop being amazed at how wonderful and lovely members of the blogging community are. Know that'll you continue to be in my thoughts.

      Ps. Just re-read my comment and realized I mis-spelled your name! Not sure how that happened after all this time, but just wanted to apologize for that. ;)

      Delete
    3. No need to apologize at all! That is how my name is pronounced. Plus, I like that you're not saying Duh-janna in your head (:

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about all of this yuckiness. You are in my thoughts - I'm sending super positive and happy vibes your way. Glad to hear that your brother is continuing to heal. Upwards and Onwards indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm soaking up every one of those super positive and happy vibes! Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts, Kristin. You're a good friend. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your brother is going to be ok. Also sorry to hear about the break-in...yes, it's just stuff, but it's the sense of safety and security that will be harder to replace. I like the idea of "going deep"! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. We're so grateful that he's going to make it through. He is very lucky to be alive.

      And you're right -- it's the safety and feeling of security that will be harder to replace. One day at a time...

      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Love your attitude. You're an inspiration. Sending prayers your way! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the sweetest, Lindsey. I appreciate your comment and your support. Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that your brother's recovery is still going well. I'm so sorry to hear about the break in, so unnerving. We tend to feel so safe and something like this can take that away. It will come back though and as you said when you emerge from the initial shock you will have grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SUCH a strange feeling knowing a stranger was in your space, Cheryl. That being said, with each passing day I'm feeling more and more relaxed. Thank you for your support! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Sorry about all your recent troubles. My house got broken into last year, and it was one of the shittiest things I ever went through. Love your attitude! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie. I remember when you wrote about your house break in. And you're right, it sucks big time. Now that a week has passed by, I'm slowly starting to feel less anxious. Trying to keep my chin up!

      Delete
  8. Praying for your brothers speedy recovery.
    I know what you mean.. I am feeling overwhelmed too..
    I am seven months pregnant, with a toddler and a husband who just started a new job and has been working late for a week.. plus I just moved into a new place and we are preparing for renovations.. and my dishwasher has been broken for over three weeks.. i'll try to go deep. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hena! Sending you positive thoughts from Edmonton! I wish I lived near you -- I'd wash your dishes and babysit for you while you took a nap (:

      Here's to keeping our chins up and our sanity intact during these challenging times! xoxo

      Delete
    2. p.s. Thank you for sharing your own challenges, Hena. I know it's not always easy to say, "I'm having a tough go of things."

      Delete
  9. Dajana! I'm so sorry to read about all this! Thinking of you and all your family. Hope your brother's recovery is speedy. Upwards and onwards indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala puno, Maki. I appreciate that you took the time to write. Things are looking up! xoxo

      Delete

Yes, please! Comments make me happy, but please keep them kind. That means you anonymous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...