Wednesday, July 3, 2013

drink: strawberry basil margaritas

SBM 2

Yesterday was one of the warmest days on record in Edmonton. It was piping hot! Too warm to even think about turning on the stove, but definitely not too warm to think about mixing up a pitcher of tasty strawberry basil margaritas. This not-too-sweet & herby recipe is summery, fresh and so delicious. I just know you're going to love it! 

It's ridiculously easy to make, crowd friendly and perfect for entertaining (make it, pop it in the fridge & pull it out when your guests arrive). The fresh basil really sets its apart from traditional margaritas and no one will ever know that it contains frozen limeade mix.

Shhh... (;

SBM 1

Here's what you need to make it...

1 can (12 ounces) frozen limeade concentrate
10 ripe strawberries (or 12 if you're using smaller ones from the farmer's market or your backyard)
8 basil leaves
2 to 2 1/2 cups tequila (alternatively, you could also use rum)

Empty the limeade concentrate into a pitcher. Add 2 1/2 cans of water and 1 1/2 cans of tequila (or a bit less, if you don't want your drinks to be quite as strong). I used 1 can of tequila and added 1/2 can of Pellegrino to make up the difference.

Hull the strawberries (the riper the better), slice lengthwise, and add to the pitcher. Crumple the basil a little in your hands (this will help the basil flavor release into the drink) and add it to the pitcher, too. Place the pitcher, covered, in the fridge overnight, or for at least four hours.

When you remove the pitcher from the fridge, your margaritas will be a lovely pale pink color. Now all you have to do is serve them and wait for the compliments to pour in. And boy, will they ever! I made these for Father's Day and my family just couldn't get enough. I want to keep everyone happy so I'm making a double batch for our family bbq this weekend.

Cheers! And an early Happy 4th of July to all of my American friends!

p.s. Thank you so very much for your sweet anniversary wishes! I loved reading your comments. We had a fantastic time in Charleston - it's the loveliest most photogenic city and I'm so excited to show you our pictures!

5 comments:

  1. Looks so pretty and sounds refreshing. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so yummy that I've made it three times this past month, Kristin. My mom's a huge fan, too (:

      Delete
  2. Ooh yummy! I'm going to make this :) {Glad to find someone from Edmonton too!!!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julienne! I love meeting new blogging peeps from Edmonton, too (:

      p.s. If you want your little cuties to be able to drink this, just leave out the booze and add Pellegrino instead.

      Delete
  3. I have my BFF and her family coming out this weekend. We're hosting a BBQ on Saturday night with a bunch of friends and this is EXACTLY what I need. Thank you and have an awesome girls weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Yes, please! Comments make me happy, but please keep them kind. That means you anonymous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...